Whether you are hiking up to the peak of a forested jungle volcano or relaxing on the golden sand while sipping a fresh coconut, Bali is by far one of the most popular and picturesque destinations in Southeast Asia.
A favorite spot for backpackers, honeymooners, and plain adventurers, Bali has a bit of something for everyone. If you just want to relax and get a tan, no worries, there are plenty of great beaches and beautiful palm trees! If you’re more interested in an island adventure of biking and trekking, you’re in luck because Bali has some of the most beautiful spots in Indonesia.
The first step to planning any successful trip is to secure good accommodation, and in Bali, there are plenty of possibilities. To make your job a little easier, we’ve put together this list of the best places to stay in Bali with options for a variety of travel styles and budgets.
Types of Accommodation in Bali
Whether you want a peaceful and secluded island getaway or a fun and social party hostel, Bali has a place for you! With so many travellers coming through the island, there are plenty of hotels, guesthouses, and hostels to choose from. In this list, we’ve got a little something for everyone coming to Bali!
Villas: This is the most luxurious accommodation option in Bali, but can still be found at a reasonable price! Staying at a villa means that you’ll have all the privacy of home, but probably some extra perks like cleaning service or breakfast. A lot of villas in Bali will have their own private pool (you’ll want this for scorching afternoons!), and some places will also provide meal services.
Villas are a great option for families or couples who want some privacy and personal space. As a bonus, the villa owners are usually able to help arrange tours, transportation, or answer any questions you may have about the island during your stay!
Guesthouses: A step up from a standard hotel room but usually a bit cheaper than a villa, a guesthouse in Bali is perfect if you want to experience some of the local culture. Usually, guesthouses have multiple rooms, but you can still have your own private space as well as a shared communal area. Many guesthouses are family run, so you’ll have the opportunity to stay with a Balinese family! Many also offer meals, which is great when you’re craving a home-cooked meal.
Hostels: Always the budget option, hostels are usually preferred by adventurers and backpackers. If you’re interested in the social scene of Bali, a hostel is definitely the place for you! As with any country, you’ll have your pick between laid-back lodgings and party hostels.
Many hostels in Bali will also arrange group activities and tours, so you can go on outings to nightclubs, take surfing lessons, participate in a yoga session, or go hiking with other guests. Staying at hostels is a great way to keep your budget low and meet other like-minded travellers in Bali.
The Best Villas in Bali
Bali is actually a fairly large island with numerous distinct cities and regions. However, one thing stays the same no matter where you stay: the magical island energy! From beachside villas to houses in the highlands overlooking the rice paddies, staying at a villa in Bali is guaranteed to be an amazing experience. Be prepared though, many Bali villas will book far in advance, so if one of the spots on this list looks right for you, make your move quick before someone else makes a reservation!
Stay at your own private villa in Canggu
- Price per night: $71 per night
- Rooms: 1 bedroom, private bathroom, full kitchen, outdoor area
- Top amenities: swimming pool, Wi-fi, air conditioning, TV
- Distance to Canggu center: 1 km/0.6 miles
Canggu is one of the most popular beach towns in Bali, and at this charming villa, you’ll be staying just a few minutes walk from the stunning golden sand!
Guests who book for 4 nights or more can enjoy a complimentary breakfast on the first morning and a free airport transfer so you can reach the villa without a hassle. The villa features a private bedroom with a king-sized bed and a bathroom stocked with toiletries, towels, and a hair dryer. Cleaning service is provided every day except for Sunday, so you can enjoy the comforts of home without the chores. There is a fully equipped kitchen at the villa, and plenty of local restaurants and cafes just minutes away from the property.
During the hot Bali afternoons, you can relax and chill in the onsite pool, or grab your favorite book and enjoy the shade of the outdoor patio space. The villa hosts can help arrange tours, travel itineraries, car rental, or answer any questions you might have about Bali during your stay!
Stay at your own private villa in Seminyak
- Price per night: $54
- Rooms: 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, kitchen, outdoor area
- Top amenities: free parking, pool, Wi-fi, garden, kitchen
- Distance to Seminyak center: 1 km/0.6 miles
Close to the popular KuDeta Beach or Seminyak, this contemporary villa is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the beach vibes of Bali. The private pool and garden equipped with beanbag lounging chairs is the perfect place to relax and spend a quiet afternoon reading your favorite book or simply appreciating the outdoor scenery.
The villa is close to the main road of Seminyak where you’ll find all the shops, restaurants, and cafes of the area. After a day of exploring, you can take a nice, hot shower in one of the private bathrooms before checking out one of the top nightclubs in the evening.
If you book a stay for 7 nights or more, the host will also provide you free airport pick up! A daily cleaning service, coffee, tea, and drinking water is also included in the villa price, and there’s also a fully equipped kitchen for you to prepare your own meals.
Stay at your own private villa in Sanur
- Price per night: $40
- Rooms: 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, outdoor patio, kitchen
- Top amenities: private pool, Wi-fi, air conditioning, kitchen
- Distance from Sanur center: 1 km/0.6 miles
Clean, modern, and elegant, the Whitehouse Villa is a great place to stay in Sanur if you’re hoping to have the comforts of home while you’re on vacation. The villa gets cleaned by a maid 6 days a week, and towels, bed linens, and toiletries are all provided in the room price.
If you have your own bicycle or rental motorbike, you can park it onsite, although there is not a space for cars or larger vehicles. At the villa, you’ll have access to your own private plunge pool and shaded outdoor terrace area where you can enjoy the peace and natural beauty of Bali.
The villa owner is available to answer questions and help you book tours and transportation during your stay. From the villa, it’s an easy walking distance to the beach, supermarkets, restaurants, and convenience shops for anything you need during your stay.
Stay in your own private villa in Ubud
- Price per night: $66
- Rooms: 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, dining space, outdoor patio and pool
- Top amenities: Breakfast included, Wi-fi, air conditioning, parking onsite
- Distance to Ubud center: 1.5 km/1 mile
The spacious villas at Tunjung Putih have air conditioned rooms with king sized beds, flat-screen TVs and mosquito netting to keep you comfortable during your stay. Outside you can enjoy a nice garden patio area complete with a separate Gazebo and day bed situated right next to the pool. Despite the tranquil atmosphere, the property is easy walking distance from top Ubud attractions like the Ubud market.
Breakfast is served in the villa each morning, which is included in the room price, and other meal services can be arranged if you prefer to eat in private at the villa. You can also book spa services and massages and other beauty treatments in the privacy of your villa!
Guesthouses in Bali
Staying at a guesthouse is a great way to have your own space and privacy, but also experience a bit more of the local culture! Many guesthouses feature traditional Balinese style architecture, and sometimes other services like spa treatment and meals can also be arranged.
Stay at a guesthouse right on Kuta Beach
- Price per night: $22 per night
- Rooms: Private bedroom, private bathroom, common patio and outdoor pool
- Top amenities: swimming pool, Wi-fi, air conditioning, refrigerator, flat screen TV
- Distance from Kuta center: 1.7 km/1 mile
Easy walking distance from the Discovery Shopping Mall of Kuta, the Kutaya Guesthouse has both a convenient location and lots of ammenities. At $22 per night, this is a great opportunity for budget travellers to enjoy hotel-like accommodations.
Rooms are all furnished with a flat-screen TV, free Wi-fi, and a private bathroom. Some rooms also have a private terrace or balcony to enjoy a view of the garden area. You can use the pool to cool off during the hot afternoons, and the front desk is staffed 24/7 if you have any questions or concerns about your trip. You can include breakfast in your room purchase, or buy individual meals during your stay to keep things flexible.
Stay at a guesthouse in Ubud
- Price per night: from $26
- Rooms: Private room, private bathroom, balcony, shared terrace, outdoor pool
- Top Amenities: garden, air conditioning, airport shuttle, breakfast included
- Distance from Ubud center: 3 km/1.8miles
The Pecatu Guesthouse is located just outside the center of Ubud, still within walking distance of top attractions like the Yoga Barn Studio, but far enough away to get out of the tourist scene. Free parking is available, and you can also rent your own car, bicycle or scooter right from the guesthouse for your stay in Ubud! All the rooms come with a private bathroom and air conditioning.
Guests also have access to the onsite swimming pool and outdoor terrace area to enjoy the natural scenery of the area. A breakfast is served every morning onsite and there are plenty of local restaurants and cafes nearby. In the evening you can head to the rooftop to enjoy a spectacular view of the sunset (and grab a few photos to make your friends back at home jealous).
Stay at a guesthouse close to the airport in Kuta
- Price per night: $22
- Rooms: private bedroom, private bathroom
- Top amenities: free parking, Wi-fi, airport transfer, breakfast included
- Distance from Kuta center: 1.5 km/1 mile
If you’re arriving late at the airport or needing to leave early in the morning to catch a flight, this guesthouse is the spot for you! Early-morning travellers will especially love the free breakfast and free airport transfers.
If you’re staying longer, Kuta Beach is about 10 minutes away, and the guesthouse offers free parking onsite if you decide to rent your own car or scooter during your stay. If you need to pick up any items, the Discovery Mall is within easy walking distance of the property! For any questions you might have about Bali or suggestions about the best activities and tours in the area, you can always ask the guesthouse owners.
Stay at a traditional guesthouse in Canggu
- Price per night: $36
- Room: private room, private outdoor bathroom, outdoor garden space
- Top amenities: kitchen, Wi-fi, air conditioning, breakfast included
- Distance from Canggu center: 1 km / 0.6 mile
This traditional Balinese-style house is close to the popular Batu Bolong Beach and Berawa Beach of Canggu, and walking distance from shopping centers, convenience stores, restaurants and cafes.
There’s a beautiful garden area leading up to the house, which is a perfect place to relax outside and enjoy the ambiance. Free parking is available onsite if you rent your own scooter during your stay, and the guesthouse owner can also help arrange transportation if you’d rather not rent your own vehicle.
The nature-themed decorations, traditional statues, and open-air bathroom make the guesthouse a great place to stay if you’re looking for a beautiful and traditional experience for a true Balinese-style adventure!
Hostels in Bali
Favored by backpackers and adventurers, there are plenty of hostels in Bali that will feel more like hotels! Hostels are the cheapest option for where to stay, but that doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice any comforts or amenities. Overall, hostels will have a more social vibe, so it’s a great way to meet other travellers during your time in Bali!
Digital nomad hostel in Canggu, Pererenan
- Price per night: dorm rooms from $13.50
- Rooms: Mixed dorms, female dorms, and private rooms
- Top amenities: Wi-fi, coworking space, cafe and bar
- Distance from Canggu center: 5.2km
A little outside of central Canggu in scenic Pererenan, Tribal Hostel is specially designed with digital nomads in mind. Featuring a vast coworking space, on-site cafe and bar, an infinity pool, and billiard table, it has everything you need to get through a tough day’s work.
The bedrooms are spacious and cozy with deluxe roomy beds, air-conditioning and individual power sockets.
Join the rest of the hostel crew for an evening of sunset drinks and a tasty meal, or cuddle up with a book on the comfortable couches, Tribal suits every kind of traveler and nomad.
Filled with luxe amenities at an affordable price, it will quickly become your favorite island home.
Stay in a centrally located hostel in Uluwatu
- Price per night: dorm rooms from $8, private rooms from $22
- Rooms: 4 bed mixed dorm, 4 bed female dorm, private room with king sized bed, kitchen, communal areas
- Top amenities: Wi-fi, tour desk, kitchen, air conditioning
- Distance from Uluwatu center: 0.5 km/0.3 miles
This perfectly-located hostel in Uluwatu is just 5 minutes drive from Melasti beach and about 20 minutes from the west coast beaches like Bingin Beach and Dreamland Beach!
Within walking distance are numerous restaurants, cafes, and shops, plus the hostel offers a free dinner every night for guests. You can also arrange activities like boat tours, surfing lessons, and scooter rentals from the front desk.
Bali Beats has a nice social atmosphere, but it’s not a party hostel, so you can still enjoy a good night’s sleep to get you ready for another day of Bali adventures.
Stay at a chill hostel in Kuta
- Price per night: dormitory rooms from $13, private rooms from $30
- Rooms: mixed dorms, female dorms, twin private, single private, outdoor terrace and swimming pool
- Top amenities: air conditioning, Wi-fi, breakfast included, swimming pool
- Distance from Kuta center: 0.6 km/0.4 miles
A fun hostel with a party atmosphere, Cara Cara Inn has a cafe and bar onsite where you can chill and hang out with the other hostel guests at activity nights like BBQs and pool parties. Breakfast is included, and snacks and drinks are available either at the cafe or from one of the nearby local shops just a few minute’s walk away.
Even in the dormitory rooms, each bed comes with its own curtain, so you can still have some space and privacy when needed. The hotel property is less than 500 meters from the popular Kuta Beach, so you can spend as much time as you want chilling and relaxing on the golden Bali sand! The reception desk is also happy to help you with suggestions and tours around Seminyak.
What to Pack for your Bali Vacation
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Power Bank: Showing up to a new city, after a 14-hour bus ride, with a dead phone and no directions to your hostel is a half-awake, messy nightmare. Putting a good power bank in your pack is the best and easiest way to keep your important electronics charged up for those long travel and sightseeing days.
2. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every nomad. Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. TRTL Travel Pillow: Get rid of the red eyes and yawning with this TRTL travel pillow. It’s not just a normal neck pillow (I mean, look at it!), the ergonomic design gives your neck and head so much comfortable support that you’ll actually be able to have some decent rest. Super easy to carry and clean, it takes up so little space compared to a traditional travel pillow.
5. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: These simple earbuds actually have two functions: keeping out most of the surrounding sounds, you can either choose to listen to some relaxing music or no sound at all while working or falling asleep. This can be a life-saver in some unexpected party hostels. Make sure you’re well-rested for the next day’s work!
Stay in a fun party hostel in Seminyak
- Price per night: dorm from $10, private rooms from $35
- Rooms: mixed and female “capsule” style dorms, mixed and female “Japanese” style dorms, private rooms
- Top amenities: swimming pool, air conditioning, bar and restaurant, fun activities
- Distance from Seminyak center: 1 km/0.6 miles
If you’re wanting to get in on the party scene of Bali, check out the Capsule Hotel in Seminyak! This is the place to meet new people, party all night, and have some of the most memorable times of your life.
The capsule-style dorm rooms mean that you can still use a privacy curtain when you need a bit of space, but chances are you’ll be having so much fun with the other guests, you won’t even want to go to sleep! Capsule Hotel has 24 hour reception and can also help arrange scooter rentals, airport transfers, and other tours around the island.
There are fun activities most days like pool parties and clubs bus parties, and a free nightly shuttle bus to the Main Street operating from 12am to 5am for your partying convenience!
There are always tasty options at the onsite restaurant and bar, and nearby there are plenty of other cafes, shops, and restaurants whenever you’re feeling hungry. Walking about 20 minutes will bring you to the beach, or you can also arrange a scooter rental to get around everywhere in Seminyak with ease!
Stay at a quiet hostel in Ubud
- Price per night: dorm rooms from $13, private room from $30
- Rooms: 6 bed mixed dorm, 6 bed female dorm, private room
- Top amenities: Wi-fi, breakfast included, balcony, bamboo style house, air conditioning, kitchen
- Distance to Ubud center
If you’re craving some peace, quiet, and natural scenery, the Ubud Rice House might be the hostel for you! Ubud is known as being a sanctuary of nature, yoga, and healthy lifestyles, and this hostel embodies all of these qualities.
Just as the name suggests, you can enjoy a view of the Ubud rice paddies from the balcony, which is particularly beautiful during sunset! Breakfast is included every morning with the room price, or there are plenty of cheap and delicious restaurants just a short walk away from the hostel.
The Ubud Rice Field House has a more peaceful and removed atmosphere, but it’s still just a short five minute walk to the main road and many of Ubud’s main attractions. To go to farther places, you can either get a taxi or rent your own scooter and use the parking onsite at the hostel.
Best Boutique Hotel in Canggu
A tranquil hideout in the middle of Canggu with a 180 degrees view of rice fields and greenery, a truly unique and romantic place to stay. With a mixed asian and western restaurant in house, damn good coffee, and daily yoga classes (and coconut oil making classes) to keep you active. Hands down one of the best location boutique guesthouses in Canggu and a great choice for a romantic stay.
Whether you’re a long-term backpacker looking for new adventures in southeast Asia or your planning a short vacation just to get a break from the rigors of your daily life, Bali is a paradise on earth waiting to welcome you!
With such a big tourist industry, great accommodation options are readily available, with plenty of choices and something to fit with every budget. From fun hostels where you can count on partying all night to peaceful private villas where you can enjoy your own personal space just like at home, we’re confident that this list has covered all the best places to stay in Bali!
All that’s left for you to do is make a reservation and get ready to set out on the adventure of a lifetime! From exploring the Ubud Monkey Forest to trying out surfing on one of Bali’s famous beaches, your memories of Bali are certain to be ones that last a lifetime.
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.