Bali is a top destination for digital nomads – and it’s easy to see why! When you’re not posted up at one of the many beautiful cafes and coworking spaces here, you can visit more than 10,000 (!) temples, go trekking on volcanoes, and sample some of the finest nightlife in Indonesia!
Parties are great, but when you’re travelling as a digital nomad you have to find a balance. After all, no-one wants to stare at a screen with the mother of all hangovers! Luckily, since you’re earning while you travel, you’ll probably have a little more room in your budget to splash out on a hostel where you can avoid the noise and get a good night’s sleep! But how can you tell a hostel like that before you stay there?
That’s where we come in. Out round-up of Bali’s best hostels for digital nomads strikes a balance between a lively atmosphere and a place where you can get your head down when you need to work! So, let’s check out the ten best hostels in Bali for digital nomads.
Quick Answer: Best Digital Nomad Hostels in Bali
- Overall Best Hostel in Bali – Tribal Hostel
- Great Digital Nomad Hostel in Bali – Draper Startup House
- Best Hostel in Canggu – Kos One Hostel
- Best Hostel in Ubud – Arya Monkey Forest
- Best Hostel in Seminyak – Stellar Capsules
- Best Hostel in Kuta – Gelatik Bed and Breakfast
Best Overall Hostel in Bali – Tribal Bali
- HUGE coworking space
- Infinity pool
- Impressive menu and amazing cocktails!
Tribal is by far our favourite digital nomad hostel in Bali. Not only is it stylish and designed with remote workers in mind, its comfortable AND tropical – what more could you want?!
Tribal has a modern aestethic with lots of open space, and places to lounge and work. There are spacious dorm rooms with all the amenities you expect from a 5-star hostel, as well as private rooms for those who need extra peace and quiet.
Spend mornings getting down to business with a hearty breakfast from the full menu, before an afternoon dip in the pool and sunset cocktails at the bar. Tribal will quickly become your must-go hostel for every Bali visit.
Great Digital Nomad Hostel in Bali – Draper Startup House for Entrepreneurs
- Co-working space
- Great location
- Community and events boards
Draper Startup House for entrepreneurs is a world renowned brand with branches in Tallinn, Singapore, Lisbon, and Manila to name a few. And yep, it’s got a property in Canggu too!
This place really does offer everything a digital nomad could want from a hostel. Think excellent hospitality mixed with a co-working space where you’re likely to meet like-minded travellers! There are community and events boards so you can make contacts, friends, or both!
Runner-Up Best Hostel in Bali for Digital Nomads – Tunjung Hostel
- Free breakfast
- Bike rental available
- Garden Oasis
Another of the best hostels in Bali for digital nomads is the excellent Tunjung Hostel in Ubud. Kick off your day with the delicious free breakfast, ideal whether you’re working or sightseeing!
If you feel yourself getting stressed trying to get the right word for your article or overloaded by emails, take a break. You don’t need to even leave the hostel as it has a garden oasis, where you can rest and recharge before tackling your work day. When you’re ready to put your laptop away, check out a bike from the front desk and explore the island!
Best Hostel in Canggu for Digital Nomads – Kos One Hostel
- Boutique Hostel
- Two jacuzzis
- Artificial beach with pool
Now that we’ve got the best overall hostels out the way, let’s go by location. Yes, our best overall hostel in Bali was in Canggu, but that’s not the only option you have here. Kos One is a modern boutique-style hostel that has everything a digital nomad could want: communal spaces where you can work undisturbed or with company, a couple of swimming pools and jacuzzi.
But, all that pales in comparison to the artificial beach! Views of the surrounding Balinese countryside are second to none at Kos One, including rice paddies, the ocean, and the imposing Mount Agung!
Runner-Up Best Hostel in Canggu for Digital Nomads – The Farm Hostel
- Security lockers
- International Adaptors
- Swimming pool
Our final choice for the best hostel in Canggu for digital nomads is the Farm Hostel. Just look at that pool – sorry, we mean those pools! There are two! Kind of enough said, right?
But what about when you need to work? Well, you could do that on the beanbags by the pool, at the bar/cafe, or even in your bed! They’ve got international adaptors and high speed in every bed, so you’ll always be able to stay connected and powered up, When you’re out exploring the island, be assured that your expensive equipment is safe in a security locker.
Best Hostel in Ubud for Digital Nomads – Arya Monkey Forest
- Free breakfast
- Café and Bar
- Daily yoga classes
Let’s move onto another location, and the best hostel in Ubud! Arya Monkey Forest is a boutique and wellness hostel where you can not only work to your heart’s content, but enjoy yoga and massages too!
Set up your laptop in the cafe/bar to enjoy tasty traditional dishes and keep yourself caffeinated, or hang in the Instagram-ready courtyard. This hostel is right by the Arya Monkey Forest sanctuary, but if you plan to head further afield, the tour desk can help you out with that. All things considered, Arya Monkey Forest is a serious contender for the coolest hostel in Bali.
Runner-Up Best Hostel in Ubud for Digital Nomads – Puri Garden Hotel & Hostel
- Multi-award winner
- Free breakfast
- Swimming pool
Another top recommended hostel in Bali, Puri Garden Hotel & Hostel is an award winner! Not only is it the most popular hostel in Ubud, but the whole of Indonesia!
Digital nomads can choose between a sociable dorm, or the peace and quiet of a double or twin room! Start your day with the delicious free breakfast before choosing between working, enjoying a day trip with fellow travellers, or exploring the surrounding area. Puri Garden is right in the centre of Ubud, so everything’s at your doorstep!
What to Pack for your Bali Hostel
Here’s some gear our editors take hostelling.
1. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Keep your bath-and-beauty items organized and in the right place with this water-resistant bag. With large compartments, mesh and enclosed clear sections, you can fit everything you might need inside. Hang it up or let it stand on its own – this bag is a must-have for dorm-lifers.
2. Power Bank: Probably one of the most important travel accessories – a decent power bank. Charging your phone up to 5 times in a row, the Anker Power Bank is a true lifesaver on long adventures or bus rides. Slick looking, handy and not too big, it easily fits in even the smallest travel bag or your pocket. Charge 2 devices at the same time with the double USB port.
3. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
4. Universal Travel Adapter: This universal travel adapter charges your devices in (pretty much) every country – definitely a lifesaver when travelling around the world. The plug also regulates the power output depending on which device you’re charging. No more fried hair dryers or electric razors!
5. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: You’ll have some pretty sorry roommates – it happens from time to time. These noise-canceling earbuds help mitigate the damage. The comfortable and ergonomic design won’t hurt your ears while sleeping no matter how long you keep them in. Increase the quality of your sleep by listening to some relaxing music at night or just enjoy the silence.
6. TRTL Travel Pillow: Get rid of the red eyes and yawning with this TRTL travel pillow. It’s not just a normal neck pillow (I mean, look at it!), the ergonomic design gives your neck and head so much comfortable support that you’ll actually be able to have some decent rest. Super easy to carry and clean, it takes up so little space compared to a traditional travel pillow.
Best Hostel in Seminyak for Digital Nomads – Stellar Capsules
- Daily activities
- Outdoor Terrace
- Seating area/kettle in all rooms
Seminyak is the party town on Bali, so if you want to blend awesome nightlife with your work, stay here! No need to stay in a Bali party hostel though – Stellar Capsules will make a laid-back base for when you’re heading out at night.
Stellar Capsules is also one of the cheapest hostels in Bali, meaning that it’s perfect if you’re on a budget, or if you’d rather just spend your money on enjoying the island. This hostel offers pod-style beds, so you can start working without even leaving the comfort of your covers!
Runner-Up Best Hostel in Seminyak for Digital Nomads – M Boutique Hostel Seminyak
- Pod style beds
- Books and Board Games
- Free tea and coffee
Another great option if you’re travelling to Seminyak is M Boutique. Up there with the best youth hostels in Bali, this boutique hotspot offers you a slice of luxury. A huge curved TV, free tea and coffee, and of course, a pool all await you here.
Should you need a break from working, head to the shared lounge where you can take advantage of books and board games. It’s another one with pod-style beds, so work from the comfort of beneath your covers.
Best Hostel in Kuta for Digital Nomads – Gelatik Bed and Breakfast
- Western or Indonesian breakfast
- Free coffee and tea
- Communal roof terrace
To round off our list, here’s another of the best hostels in Bali: Kuta’s Gelatik Bed and Breakfast! In the morning, you can choose between a Western or Indonesian breakfast, then if you’re in working, keep fuelled up on free coffee and tea for the rest of the day.
Don’t be fooled by the name – it is a bed and breakfast, and the main attraction here is the option of a private room instead of a dorm if you’d prefer your privacy!
Final Thoughts on the best hostels for digital nomads in Bali
Are you ready to find your home base in Bali? While many of these hostels offer the hostel basics, we’ve seen much more than that – including artificial beaches, cool cafes, and even useful co-working spaces! Whatever your travel style, you’re sure to find the perfect hostel in Bali for you.
If you’re a digital nomad who is still struggling to settle on their perfect place to stay, don’t worry. Take a few minutes away from your laptop – you deserve it. When you come back, go for our favourite hostel in Bali for digital nomads: Tribal Bali. It offers a great work/life balance and it’s an ideal base for exploring Bali!
We hope you have an incredible vacation in Bali! And remember, don’t overwork yourself. There’s a whole island to see!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, we will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.