Planning a trip to Indonesia? At some point, you’ll probably be stopping off in Bali. This tropical island attracts every type of traveller. The island of the Gods is home to 10,000 temples, yoga and meditation retreats, and some of the best nightlife in all of Asia. If all that’s not enough, it’s also incredible for outdoor enthusiasts, with a number of volcano hikes for when you’re ready to challenge yourself.
So, what about deciding where to stay in Bali? Well, if you’re on a backpacker’s budget, a resort or meditation retreat might be a bit out of reach – but that doesn’t mean there’s a shortage of beautiful budget options. No matter where you’re staying on the island, there’ll be a hostel to match your travel style and budget!
With that in mind, we’ve decided to help you out. In this post, we’ll take a look at the 15 best hostels in Bali, so you can book your accommodation and start planning your adventure!
Quick Answer – Best Hostels in Bali
- Overall Best Hostel in Bali – Tribal Hostel
- Best Hostels for Solo Travellers in Bali – Slumber Party Hostel Canggu
- Best Cheap Hostel in Bali – Stellar Capsules
- Best Hostel for Couples in Bali – Puri Garden Hotel & Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Bali – d’Gobers Hostel Seminyak
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Bali – Tunjung Hostel
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Bali – WaterBorn Bali
- Best Hostel in Canggu – Dip & Doze Boutique Hostel
- Best Hostel in Ubud – Sunshine Vintage House
- Best Hostel in Kuta – Gelatik Bed and Breakfast
- Best Hostel in Seminyak – Capsule Hotel Bali – New Seminyak
- Best Hostel in Uluwatu – Karma Backpacker House
Best Hostels in Bali
Overall Best Hostel in Bali – Tribal Hostel
- Huge coworking space
- Lush garden and pool
- Modern industrial style
Tribal Hostel is by far our favorite hostel on the island. A custom designed digital nomad hostel, it is a remote workers dream with a sprawling coworking space and cafe, bar area, and breezy garden with swimming pool. Perfect for a day of getting down to business while still enjoying the tropical setting, there is standing desks, communal desks and private booths.
Featuring hostel dorms and private rooms, everything is bright and comfortable with all the amenities you need for a relaxing and comfortable stay.
Best Hostels for Solo Travellers in Bali – Slumber Party Hostel Canggu
- Swimming Pool
- Group activities
Travelling alone and worried you won’t know anyone? You can swiftly forget about that when you’re staying at this social Bali hostel – Slumber Party Canggu. There’s a common area where you can meet fellow travellers, featuring a huge swimming pool and a bar.
If you don’t feel comfortable approaching people yourself, take advantage of the fun group activities! There are surfing lessons and adventure tours, like hiking on Mount Batur. You really won’t find a cooler hostel in Bali if you’re travelling solo!
Best Cheap Hostel in Bali – Stellar Capsules
- Swimming pool
- Cool and artsy
Looking for a budget hostel in Bali? There are plenty on the island, but how can you sort the wheat from the chaff? Let us show you Stellar Capsules. Since they’re capsule rooms, you get your own private space without having to pay the scary prices of a private room!
You might think that because this hostel is kind on the wallet, you have to compromise when it comes to extra stuff. But no! There’s an outdoor swimming pool where you can chill out, and BBQs too. Breakfast isn’t included, but with how cheap this place is, you’ll be able to go out for breakfast to one of the nearby cafes!
Best Hostel for Couples in Bali – Puri Garden Hotel & Hostel
- Swimming pool
- Free Breakfast
Travelling to Ubud with your other half? If that’s the case, a sweaty, smelly dorm won’t do. But you can’t afford a luxury hotel? Well, luckily the coolest hostel in Bali has double rooms! A quick note to say that this isn’t just great for couples – Puri Garden won the best hostel in Indonesia for 2020! So, there’s never been a better time to visit, whether you’re solo, in a group, or coupled up.
Enjoy your free breakfast as you lounge around the pool. Spend all day there topping up your tan or get involved with one of the free activities, like yoga classes!
Best Party Hostel in Bali – d’Gobers Hostel Seminyak
- Free breakfast
- Foosball Table
- Fun events
For those people who are looking to have a wild time in Bali, there are plenty of places to go. Seminyak’s Petitenget Street is one of the best, and you’re assured of a great night. It just so happens that the best party hostel in Bali is right off that street!
The bar and restaurant have a lively atmosphere, so head down and get a few beers or cocktails! If you go overboard on Petitenget Street, there’s a free breakfast which is guaranteed to make you feel better in the morning. The Indonesian noodle breakfast is one of four choices that’ll soak up that hangover!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Bali – Tunjung Hostel
- Free breakfast
- Garden Oasis
- Bike rental available
For digital nomads, you’ll need Wi-Fi at your hostel. But since you’re earning on the road, you can hopefully afford to splash out a little extra on your accommodation! Here, you can stick to a budget with a dorm, or with a little more cash, you can upgrade to a private room.
The vibe here is not party-centric, so you’ll have the peace and quiet you need to get all your work done. Once you’re finished, chill out in the hostel’s tropical garden or rent a bike to explore the island. Tunjung offers the best of both worlds!
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Bali – WaterBorn Bali
- Free Breakfast
- Mix of hostel and villa living
- Free tea and coffee
As well as dormitory-style rooms, WaterBorn offers single, queen, and king rooms. It’s the best hostel in Bali for solo travellers or couples who are looking for a private room. Once you close your door behind you, you’ll think you’re in a luxury hotel! After a cool and comfortable night’s sleep, come down and enjoy your delicious free breakfast!
However, you’ll also get the best of hostel life in the communal areas – there’s a shared lounge, a ping-pong table, and a swimming pool. So, plenty to keep you entertained!
Best Hostel in Canggu – Dip & Doze Boutique Hostel
- Communal rooftop area
- Swimming pool
- Free toiletries and towels
For the top hostel in Bali’s Canggu, take a look at Dip & Doze Boutique and Hostel. You can dip in the swimming pool before dozing in one of the comfortable beds, or on the communal rooftop space.
When thinking about location, you won’t get anywhere better than this – it’s right in the centre of Canggu! So, you have all of the best places to eat and things to do right on your doorstep. Dip and Doze comes as one of the most recommended hostels in Bali – and an almost perfect Hostelworld review score! You won’t be disappointed here.
Best Hostel in Ubud – Sunshine Vintage House
- Free Breakfast
- Free water refills
- Free hot drinks
This awesome vintage-inspired offering is the best hostel in Ubud! You’ll be welcomed into this friendly hostel like family, and there are loads of freebies on offer, like breakfast in the morning and then hot drinks and cold water throughout the day.
For those who are unsure about how to book tours, this hostel can help! They can assist you in finding the best places for rafting, trekking, and cycling on the island. Need to go to Ubud’s supermarket or yoga barn? No problem – this place is within walking distance of both!
Best Hostel in Kuta – Gelatik Bed and Breakfast
- Great location
- Free breakfast
- Communal rooftop area
Don’t be fooled by the bed and breakfast name, Gelatik is the best hostel in Kuta! Although there are private rooms if you want a little space, you can get a dorm here too.
You’re unlikely to spend much time in your room though, just look at those beanbags scattered around the pool! You’ll get breakfast included – whether you want western or Indonesian style is up to you! Later in the day, there’s nowhere better to enjoy the sunset than this hostel’s roof terrace. This is a great all-rounder when it comes to the top hostels in Bali.
Best Hostel in Seminyak – Capsule Hotel Bali – New Seminyak
- Fun hostel activities
- Party hostel
- Near all the nightlife
The best hostel in Seminyak also happens to be one of the best party hostels in Bali! It’s a good idea to look elsewhere if you’re looking for a chilled out time, but read on if you’re ready for drinks, dancing, and an awesome atmosphere.
There are events every night at the Capsule Hotel including bus parties and pool parties! They even have the option of capsule-style rooms, but let’s be honest, when you’re here you’re likely to spend most of your time at the bar!
Best Hostel in Uluwatu – Karma Backpacker House
- Scooter Rental
- Great location
- Book exchange
Want to visit one of the most impressive temples in Bali? If so, you’ll want to stay at Karma Backpacker House – the best hostel in Uluwatu!
There are several beaches in the area, and while you can’t have all of them on your doorstep, you have 12 incredible beaches within a 15 minute radius by taxi or scooter. So, it’s perfect if you’re planning to top up your tan and enjoy the best sun, sand, and sea on the island!
As well as beaches, there are loads of places to eat and local shops right on your doorstep too. You can get street food starting from as little as $1!
More Great Hostels in Bali
- Pool Tables
- 24-hour reception
- Outdoor swimming pool
There are so many hostels in Bali, they can’t all fit into our categories above – The Beach Hut Hostel is one of those hostels! Located in Kuta, the decor here is brightly coloured, yet the atmosphere is cozy.
There are a number of entertainment options here. Take a dip in the refreshing pool, challenge some of your new mates to a game of pool, or just relax with a book on one of the comfy beanbags. Breakfast is included here, the perfect way to fuel up before a busy day of sightseeing or hiking!
- Free yoga
- Rooftop and lounge area
- Near monkey sanctuary
Want to get closely acquainted with the local wildlife? While we can’t promise any hostels in Bali with monkeys on site, this is the next best thing! Just behind the hostel, you have the monkey forest sanctuary, one of the coolest attractions in and around Ubud!
However, you might end up spending all your time in this awesome hostel. Whether that’s in the tropical gardens, in the swimming pool, or on the roof terrace is up to you. Just one thing – don’t miss out on the free daily yoga class!
- Boxing, MMA and yoga studios
- Surf lesson
- Jacuzzi and spa areas
Last but not least on our list of the best hostels in Bali is this place in Canggu. Rhythm and Rumble may sound like a great name for a Bali party hostel, but don’t let the name fool you. It offers a free daily yoga session, boxing and MMA studios, and a great cocktail bar. The restaurant has food aimed at health and fitness enthusiasts.
Comfy capsule-style beds also have international power sockets, so you shouldn’t have any trouble getting your phone or laptop to 100%!
What to Pack for your Bali Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Power Bank: Showing up to a new city, after a 14-hour bus ride, with a dead phone and no directions to your hostel is a half-awake, messy nightmare. Putting a good power bank in your pack is the best and easiest way to keep your important electronics charged up for those long travel and sightseeing days.
2. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. TRTL Travel Pillow: Get rid of the red eyes and yawning with this TRTL travel pillow. It’s not just a normal neck pillow (I mean, look at it!), the ergonomic design gives your neck and head so much comfortable support that you’ll actually be able to have some decent rest. Super easy to carry and clean, it takes up so little space compared to a traditional travel pillow.
5. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: These simple earbuds will help you out. Keeping out most of the surrounding sounds, you can either choose to listen to some relaxing music or no sound at all while falling asleep. This can be a life-saver in some unexpected party hostels. Make sure you’re well-rested for the next adventures!
Final Thoughts on the Best Hostels in Bali
Whether you want to stay in Ubud, Canggu, Kuta, Seminyak, or Uluwatu, you’ll find the perfect Bali hostel for you. And if you’re planning to bounce around the island, this list will be very useful to have at hand!
Bali has something for every kind of traveller. Relaxing homestays, wild party hostels, and lots of places with awesome events – Bali has got you covered. We just hope you’re not overwhelmed when it comes to picking your perfect place to stay!
If that is the case, just go with our favourite hostel in Bali: Indraprastha Home Stay. It’s in a great location, provides excellent value for money, and you’ll get a truly local Indonesian experience. We hope you have an incredible vacation in Bali!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, we will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.